Report a repair

Repair categories

EHSL has three categories of repairs


Category 1 – EMERGENCY – Attendance within 24 hours. This is considered as any occurrence where there is actual danger to the occupants of the building, staff or visitors, or there is potential for further damage to the property.


Category 2 – URGENT – Attendance within 7 days. For situations where there is no danger posed, but the ability to use the facilities or the home has been affected as a result.


Category 3 – ROUTINE – Attendance within 28 days. For less urgent repairs where there is little or no inconvenience to residents or care staff. Usually where single items are defective but there is no loss of use of the home or its services.


Information about commonly reported issues can be found below, with some ‘troubleshooting’ tips that may help you resolve the issue yourself.


If you wish to report a maintenance issue or any other matter please call EHSL on 0300 200 4100 or use the form at the bottom of this page.


All emergencies MUST be reported via telephone, as contact forms and emails are only monitored during EHSL office hours. Our office hours are 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday, excluding bank holidays.

If you find that you have no heating and hot water the issue is likely to be connected to the boiler. Sometimes a boiler will have a fault and will require resetting. You can do this by turning it off and back on again. Some heating and hot water systems controlled by a timer or thermostat which is found on a control unit on the wall. Make sure that the timer is set to ‘on’ and that the thermostat is set to the desired temperature. If you have had to turn the switch to ‘on’ or turn the the heating up, it may take some time to reach the desired temperature. If the timer is set so that heating and hot water is ‘off’ at the time you wish to use it, you may be able to get a supply for one hour by pressing the ‘heating advance’ or ‘hot water advance’ buttons. If your boiler has lost pressure you will see the pressure gauge on ‘0’. You may need to add pressure using the filling loop. Once the pressure is at the correct level you will need to turn off the filling loop. If you have a top-up electricity or gas meter, you may have run out of credit for it and require a top-up. If after following the above steps you still have a problem, please call our maintenance helpdesk on 0300 200 4100

The fuse box (also called the consumer unit) contains the main on/off switch for the electricity in your home. The fuse box can usually be found next to the electricity meter, under your stairs or by your front door. It has a circuit breaker that will automatically switch off the electricity by tripping a switch, breaking the circuit in the event of an electrical fault. You will also find a row of smaller switches called mini circuit breakers, or RCDs. These control the electricity to the lighting and socket circuits in particular rooms or parts of your home. They will trip out if there is an overload on a particular circuit (e.g. if a light bulb blows or too many electrical items are plugged into one socket). Loss of electricity could be because of a power cut or, if you have a top up electric key meter, a lack of credit. Check to see if neighbours’ homes have also been affected by a potential power cut. If neighbours still have power, you may have to check whether a fuse has tripped in your fuse box.

  • Open the cover on the fuse box
  • Turn all fuses to the ‘off’ position and turn them back on, one by one. If the circuit trips again this will show where the fault is.
  • Be aware that a faulty device may still be connected and may continue to trip the circuit until the device has been turned off or unplugged.

If after following the above steps you still have a problem, please call our maintenance helpdesk on 0300 200 4100

If you have found a sink or toilet to be blocked, please take the following steps to attempt to remove the blockage.

  • Pour some hot, soapy water into the bowl. Allow some time for the water to sink into the pipework. Try this several times if possible and the blockage may break up. Also try to use commercially available products to disperse the blockage.
  • Use a plunger which can be purchased from most supermarkets and DIY stores. Make sure there is enough water in the bowl to cover the rubber part of the plunger and pump it up and down. You may need to cover the overflow in a sink to create a seal. 

If after following the above steps you still have a problem, please call our maintenance helpdesk on 0300 200 4100. If the blockage was found to have been caused by excessive volumes of paper, or foreign objects such as wet wipes, the tenant(s) may be charged the full cost of clearing the blockage.

Water leaks can occur for a number of reasons, including damage to pipework or roofing, a fault developing with an appliance that uses water, and sanitary items overflowing – like baths, showers, sinks and toilets. In the event of a leak it is important that you identify what is leaking and make sure the water is turned off to stop the leak from getting worse. If you notice a water leak please turn off the water at the stopcock and place a container underneath the source to avoid further damage. Any water leaks should be reported to EHSL immediately to 0300 200 4100. When bathing please make sure shower or bath mats are in use to catch escaping water, and ensure that the bath is not filled so high that it overflows. After bathing, be sure to check the floor for excess water and mop up any spills if necessary to prevent water from getting to places it isn’t supposed to be.

Regular buildups of condensation can allow a fungus known as ‘black mould’ to grow on walls, ceilings, clothes and furniture. As well as affecting plasterwork and rotting window frames, black mould can have a negative effect on your health if the mould is not treated promptly. Mould can be a particular problem in the colder months when residents will often keep windows closed and clothes will be dried inside the home. To prevent condensation and mould you should maintain a constant balance of warmth and ventilation in your home. Mould can be treated very easily by wiping off as much as is possible using a fungicidal wash, ensuring the instructions are being closely followed. Fungicidal wash can be bought from most supermarkets and hardware stores. Repaint the affected surface using a fungicidal paint and dry any wet surfaces, such as windows and windowsills daily to help prevent the mould returning. Windows should be left partially open to allow for adequate ventilation. To avoid the buildup of condensation and the growth of mould in your home, try following these six simple steps:

  1. Produce less moisture
  2. Remove excess moisture
  3. Open the Windows
  4. Heat your home more
  5. Insulate and draught-proof
  6. Kill and remove the mould

Tenants have a responsibility to ensure their home is adequately ventilated to avoid mould growth. Instances of mould should be reported as soon as they are identified in order for advice to be given. Please take extra precautions against condensation and mould during the winter months. If you have identified mould please report it to EHSL by calling 0300 200 4100

An emergency is considered to be any occurrence where there is actual danger to the occupants of the building, staff or visitors, or there is potential for further damage to the property. Examples of emergencies are:

  • Uncontrollable leak or flooding.
  • Broken window
  • No heating (during winter)
  • Total loss of Electricity
  • Exposed electrics which pose an electrocution risk.
  • Severe Roof leak
  • All toilets out of service.
  • Fire Alarm system failure.
  • No supply of water or hot water.
  • Break in, resulting in security risk.
  • Broken glazing.
  • Damaged lock – if you cannot enter or secure the property.
  • Carbon monoxide leak

If you have a maintenance emergency please call our maintenance helpdesk on 0300 200 4100 Examples of things which are NOT emergencies are:

  • Appliances not working
  • Can’t get TV signal
  • Doors are squeaking.
  • Mould or condensation
  • Scaled up shower head
  • Decoration
  • General gardening/cleaning
  • Dripping tap/pipe/radiator (where the leak can be contained)
  • Damaged furniture
  • Blown lightbulb

If you need to report a maintenance issue, please call our helpdesk on 0300 200 4100 Please note that misuse of the emergency maintenance facility will result in charges being made back to the tenant.

EHSL’s tenants are obliged to use the property in a tenant-like manner and not cause damage. EHSL may issue a recharge invoice for the following:

  • Clearing a blockage if it has been caused by the tenant.
  • Repairing damage (i.e. broken windows)
  • Key/lock replacements
  • Misuse of the emergency repair service. This is because emergency call-outs can be expensive and should only be used for genuine emergencies.
  • Abortive visits – asking for an engineer to attend and then refusing them entry, or going out at the time of an agreed appointment.
  • Cleaning, if you vacate and leave the property in an unsuitable condition.
  • Removing large items left by tenants (i.e. old mattresses or appliances)
  • Any work you ask EHSL to do which is your responsibility.
  • Other incidences akin to the above.

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

If you wish to report a maintenance issue or any other matter please call EHSL on 0300 200 4100 or use the form below.